- Fresh Food
- Youth Programs
- Workforce Training
- Cleaning & Greening
- Healthy Living Workshops
- Urban Waters
- Groundwork USA
Program works to increase vital tree cover in Lawrence. By working with new homeowners who have front or side yards within 20’ feet of a public way, we are able to plant trees that benefit the community and ensure that each tree has a steward. Groundwork Lawrence received seed funding for a small, pilot program from the MA Dept. of Conservation and Recreation’s Environmental Justice Program to plant 18 trees in the spring of 2008.
- In April 2009, we planted 60 trees with funding from The Home Depot Foundation and the MA Dept. of Conservation and Recreation and in 2011 we planted 50 trees with funding from the Massachusetts Environmental Trust and the MA Dept. of Conservation and Recreation. Once qualified, GreenStreets participants received free assistance with selecting a tree and a suitable setback location, as well as technical assistance and volunteer support for a no-cost tree. GreenStreets participants received bilingual technical information from Groundwork’s certified arborist, including tools and tips for sustainable tree maintenance during a tree’s first three years in the ground.
For more information email Maria or call her at (978) 974-0770.
How the Program Works
- Contact us!
- Groundwork Lawrence will visit you at your home to look at your yard and help you determine which tree would be best for your property.
- We will set up a time to deliver your tree and have it planted by local YouthBuild chapter volunteers.
- After the tree is planted you will receive instructions on how to care for your NEW tree.
Check out the flyer here!
Benefits of Your New Tree:
- Add value to your home and yard.
- Break the cold winds to help lower your heating costs.
- Provide a home for birds and food for wildlife.
- Help cool your home and neighborhood, reducing air conditioning costs.
- Remove CO2 from the air to improve Lawrence’s air quality.
- Reduce pollution from automotive exhaust.
- Improve water quality by decreasing rainwater runoff and erosion.
- Reduce stress by creating a more pleasant neighborhood setting.
- Provide a nice shady place to sit outdoors and get out of the hot sun.
- Help fight global warming.
YouthBuild Lawrence is a GED education and carpentry training program developing young leaders and affordable housing in Lawrence.