On-site Farmers Market Manager Job Description (Part-time, Seasonal)
Groundwork Lawrence is looking for someone to help manage our Lawrence Farmers Markets. This is a part-time, seasonal position beginning end of June/beginning of July. You must be available to work at our Wednesday and Saturday markets starting July 9th through the end of October. The Wednesday market is on Appleton Way between the Court House and City Hall and runs 9am-4pm. The Saturday market is on the corner of Park and Lawrence Streets across from the Greater Lawrence Family Healthy Center’s Park St location and runs from 10am-2pm.
On-site Responsibilities include:
- Set up/break down/transportation of the manager’s tent (tent, table, chairs, brochure stand, banner, other signage) – You are expected to arrive at the market at least a half an hour before the market opens.
- Set out sandwich boards in key locations
- Distribute and help hand out acceptable forms of payment signs to each vendor
- Process card transactions (debit, credit, EBT/Food Stamps/SNAP) and assisting with the Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program
- Track market foot traffic/number of potential customers
- Communicate with vendors and customers in regards to set-up, price display, etc.
- Track vendor sales
- Be available to answer any questions about the Farmers Markets and Groundwork Lawrence
- Understand Lawrence Farmers Market guidelines and make sure that all vendors adhere to guidelines at all times
- Collect average prices of items at Farmers Market
- Circulate throughout the market and interact with vendors and customers to get feedback, promote the other market or other GWL events, and increase sales.
- Answer any questions regarding WIC and Senior Farmers Market Coupons
- Collect coupons at the end of market day
- Ensure that market area is left clean and as it was found
- Function as the liaison between customers, vendors, and GWL staff
Potential Off-Site Responsibilities:
- Assist with outreach at Department of Transitional Services, community events, etc.
- Help plan Farmers Market events (festivals, concerts, poetry readings, etc)
- Update social media, website, blog, etc.
- Outreach to local media
- Must have own vehicle to transport tent, table, sandwich boards, tent weights, brochure stand, and chair(s)
- Must be bi-lingual in English and Spanish
- Enthusiasm for agriculture, food, and healthy communities a plus
- Lawrence residency is a plus
Compensation: $12.00 an hour, average of 13-18 hours a week anticipated
Start Date: Late June/early July
To apply: Please contact Anna Rickards at 978.974.0770 ex 4 or emailhreff=>
Hiring Policy: Groundwork Lawrence is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any legally protected status. City of Lawrence residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
Visit our Job Openings page for more info.